GE Resignations and Terminations

GE separation paperwork must be created when a GE resigns or, in rare cases, is terminated before the end-date on their standing appointment contract.

Upon learning of a GE's mid-appointment resignation or termination, the hiring unit should contact the Payroll Office if it is necessary to have a paycheck stopped immediately and the Graduate School to discuss the tuition waiver status (see below). It is important to deal with separations, leaves of absence, and decreases of FTE as quickly as you can. Please keep the following items in mind.

  1. Call Payroll (x61101) as soon as you are aware of any change that will reduce or stop the GE’s pay (e.g., resignation/dismissal, FTE decrease, or level decrease). This will avoid the frustrating task of having to collect overpayments.
  2. Contact the Graduate School-- ideally before the separation has been finalized-- to determine whether or not the student may retain their full tuition remission, fee subsidy, and health insurance coverage for the current term . The determination will be made based on the estimated number of work hours completed by the date of separation.
  3. When a GE goes on academic leave, their GE is not automatically canceled. You must submit a separation PRF (with explanation).

A PRF indicating the resignation/termination should be completed and submitted to the Graduate School along with a document indicating the date of resignation or termination (e.g., a printed-out email resignation from the student, a discharge memo from the department head to the student). After processing, the PRF will be forwarded to the Payroll Office.

To complete the separation PRF correctly, please refer to the GE separation guidelines on the Banner Guide. In the Remarks area on the PRF, it is helpful if hiring units note the date the separation is effective.

Tuition Waiver

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, a GE who resigns, is terminated, or withdraws from the University will lose their tuition, insurance, and fee waiver unless they have worked a minimum of .20 FTE for the term (please speak to the Graduate School about Family and Medical Leave exceptions). If they are no longer eligible for a tuition waiver, the GE will be billed for 10, 25, 50, 75, 90 or 100% of the tuition. The amount billed depends on the date of resignation, termination, or withdrawal in accordance with the Registrar's Tuition/Fee Reduction and Refund Schedule and the decision made by the Graduate School based on any extenuating circumstances. Please contact the Graduate School for assistance.


Cost to the Unit

Tuition coverage, the mandatory fee subsidy, and health insurance coverage are never pro-rated. In the event that the student may retain their tuition remission, fee subsidy, and health insurance, the hiring unit will be responsible for covering the full cost of these. In the case that the student may not retain these benefits, Payroll will remit manually to the index (FOPA) the amount it has been charged by the time the separation is effective.


Complete Withdrawal from the University

Students are both academically and financially responsible for all classes in which they register until they officially withdraw from the University. Students should consult the Registrar's website for withdrawal procedures and information on the University tuition refund policies as well as the GE complete withdrawal information on this site. Students who withdraw are no longer able to use University services to which they previously had access.

Copyright © 2011-2018 University of Oregon. All rights Reserved. Eugene Oregon 97403.

UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.