English Language Proficiency Requirement
A satisfactory proficiency in the English language is required for admission to the University of Oregon. International applicants must show proof of language proficiency through one of the three options:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Score: Minimum Score: 88 (Internet based)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Score: Minimum Score: 7.0 overall band score
- Degree from certain English-speaking countries: A bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from an institution in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. We are unable to accept certificates of English as a mode of instruction to satisfy this requirement.
NOTE: TOEFL/IELTS scores must be less than 2 years old at the time of application. Some graduate programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS score than the minimum for University of Oregon admission and some graduate programs may require a TOEFL/IELTS score regardless of educational background.
Please check with your prospective program for information about their requirements.
Submitting Proof of English Language Proficiency
Option 1 or 2 (TOEFL/IELTS Score)
- Take either the TOEFL or IELTS and request that the testing agency send your scores to the University of Oregon.
- UO Institution Code is 4846
Option 3 (Degree from certain English-speaking countries)
- On your application there is a section to fill out your complete post secondary educational history. Listing a degree that meets the above criteria will prompt a review of your official transcripts.
Visit the Educational Testing Service (ETS) for a list of department codes.
If you do not see your department listed, please review your prospective program to see which code their applicants use.
Testing Site Links
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL/ETS)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- University of Oregon Testing Center
Graduate Employee - Language Requirement for Non-Native English Speakers
Non-Native English Speakers in Graduate Employee teaching positions are required to prove their spoken English proficiency by way of the SPEAK Test or the speaking component of the internet-based TOEFL or IELTS.