English Language Proficiency Requirement
A satisfactory proficiency in the English language is required for admission to the University of Oregon. International applicants must show proof of language proficiency through one of the three options:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Score: Minimum Score: 88 (Internet based)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Score: Minimum Score: 7.0 overall band score
- Degree from certain English-speaking countries: A bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from an institution in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. We are unable to accept certificates of English as a mode of instruction to satisfy this requirement.
NOTE: TOEFL/IELTS scores must be less than 2 years old at the time of application. Some graduate programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS score than the minimum for University of Oregon admission and some graduate programs may require a TOEFL/IELTS score regardless of educational background.
Please check with your prospective program for information about their requirements.
Submitting Proof of English Language Proficiency
Option 1 or 2 (TOEFL/IELTS Score)
- Take either the TOEFL or IELTS and request that the testing agency send your scores to the University of Oregon.
- UO Institution Code is 4846
Option 3 (Degree from certain English-speaking countries)
- On your application there is a section to fill out your complete post secondary educational history. Listing a degree that meets the above criteria will prompt a review of your official transcripts.
Visit the Educational Testing Service (ETS) for a list of department codes.
If you do not see your department listed, please review your prospective program to see which code their applicants use.
Testing Site Links
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL/ETS)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- University of Oregon Testing Center
Language Requirement for International Graduate Employees (GEs)
International Graduate Employees (GEs) in teaching positions are required to prove their spoken English proficiency by way of the SPEAK Test or the speaking component of the internet-based TOEFL or IELTS.
Fall 2019 SPEAK Test Schedule
DATE: Friday, September 20, 2019
LOCATION: Yamada Language Center
TIME: Tests take 30 minutes and begin at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m.
HOW TO SIGN UP: Email Robert Elliott before September 14 to register for the test
If you have questions about these guidelines or the language requirement, please contact Jered Nagel.