English Language Proficiency Requirement
A satisfactory proficiency in the English language is required for admission to the University of Oregon. International applicants must show proof of language proficiency through one of the following options:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT*) Score: Minimum Score: 88
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test Score: Minimum Score: 7.0 overall band score
- Duolingo English Test Score: We are temporarily accepting this test for admission through Fall 2022. Minimum Score: 115
- Degree from certain English-speaking countries: A bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from an institution in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom. We are unable to accept certificates of English as a mode of instruction to satisfy this requirement.
NOTE: Test scores must be less than 2 years old at the time of application. Some graduate programs may require a higher TOEFL/IELTS score than the minimum for University of Oregon admission and some graduate programs may require a TOEFL/IELTS score regardless of educational background.
*We are temporarily accepting the TOEFL iBT Home Edition for admission in Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall 2021.
Please check with your prospective program for information about their requirements.
Submitting Proof of English Language Proficiency
Option 1 or 2 (TOEFL/IELTS Score)
- Take either the TOEFL or IELTS and request that the testing agency send your scores to the University of Oregon.
- UO Institution Code is 4846
Visit the Educational Testing Service (ETS) for a list of department codes.
If you do not see your department listed, please review your prospective program to see which code their applicants use.
Option 3 (Duolingo English Test Score)
- Once you have received your Duolingo English Test results, log into your account, click on the "Send Results" button next to your test results and select "University of Oregon" as a recipient.
Option 4 (Degree from certain English-speaking countries)
- On your application there is a section to fill out your complete post secondary educational history. Listing a degree that meets the above criteria will prompt a review of your official transcripts.
Testing Site Links
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL/ETS)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Duolingo English Test
- University of Oregon Testing Center
Graduate Employee - Language Requirement for Non-Native English Speakers
Non-Native English Speakers in Graduate Employee teaching positions are required to prove their spoken English proficiency by way of the SPEAK Test or the speaking component of the internet-based TOEFL or IELTS.