Grades and Incompletes

Grade Requirements

Graduate students must maintain at least a 3.00 grade point average (GPA) in graduate courses taken in the degree program. Grades of D+ or lower for graduate courses are not accepted for graduate credit but are computed in the GPA. Similarly, the grade of N (no pass) is not accepted for graduate credit. A grade of pass (P) must be equal to or better than a B-.

A GPA below 3.00 at any time during a graduate student's studies or the accumulation of more than 5 credits of N or F grades--regardless of the GPA--is considered unsatisfactory. The dean of the Graduate School, after consultation with the student's home department, may disqualify the student from the Graduate School, thus terminating the student's degree program.

Removal of Incompletes

Graduate students need to be aware that there are two sets of policies regarding incompletes on the student record: (1) Departmental and (2) Graduate School. Graduate students should become familiar with both sets of policies.

The Graduate School policy requires that graduate students must convert a graduate course grade of Incomplete ("I") into a passing grade within one calendar year of the term the course was taken. After one year, the student must petition to the Graduate School for the removal of an incomplete.

To be eligible for Graduate School approval on a Petition to Remove an Incomplete, all of the following criteria must be met:

  1. The incomplete must be no more than seven (7) years old.

  2. The student must have the approval of the instructor to complete the outstanding course requirements.

  3. The student must not have completed a terminal advanced degree since the term of enrollment in the course. Incompletes that remain on the academic record after a degree has been awarded may not be removed. All coursework documented on the transcript at the time of the awarding of a degree stands as a permanent record and it is not permissible to revise the record.

An incomplete, "I", assigned to Thesis (503), Research (601), Dissertation (603) or Terminal Project (609, AAAP 611, ARCH 619, BA 740, CRES 611, IARC 611, LA 699, LT 611) does not require a petition. Thesis and Dissertation credits are automatically converted upon awarding of the degree when the thesis or dissertation is completed and approved by the Graduate School. Research and Terminal Project credits are converted after the instructor submits a Supplementary Grade Report to the Office of the Registrar.

Note: This policy applies to the level of the course not to the level of the student. An undergraduate in a graduate level course will be evaluated under Graduate School policy. A graduate student in an undergraduate level course will follow policies in effect for undergraduate students.


Copyright © 2011-2019 University of Oregon. All rights Reserved. Eugene Oregon 97403.

UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.