International Applicants FAQs

How do we define "international student"?
  • An international student is a student who is not a U.S. citizen or a resident alien (one who holds a "green card").
Can international students apply for terms other than fall?
  • Normally, no, but it is up to the academic department to which you are applying. Some departments accept applications for Fall term only, while others will accept applications for other terms as well.
Can international students be postbaccalaureate graduate students?
  • No. Immigration regulations require that international students be admitted to a degree-seeking program. They can be postbaccalaureate undergraduates (working toward a 2nd bachelor's degree).
Can the application fee be deferred for international students?
  • Only in a few special cases. Applicants must contact the Office of Admissions for approval.
In addition to the admission application, what other documents are required to have a complete file?
  • TOEFL or IELTS test results, official/certified transcripts, a bank statement, and any other items required by the department to which you are applying.
Is the TOEFL or IELTS required of students from Australia, Canada or England?
  • If English is their first language, no. French-speaking Canadians should take the TOEFL or IELTS.
Is the TOEFL or IELTS required of those students who have earned U.S. bachelor's or higher degrees?
  • The University does not require it, but some graduate departments require the TOEFL (or IELTS) from ALL non-native speakers of English. Please contact your department of interest to find out.
For how long is a TOEFL score valid? What about the IELTS score?
  • Scores from both the TOEFL and IELTS are valid for two years.
Can an international student be denied by the Admissions Office after being accepted by the department?
  • Yes. The final decision is made by Admissions. Denial is usually due to insufficient funds.
Can international students apply for financial aid and scholarships?
  • International students cannot apply for federal financial aid. Once at the UO they can, however, apply for general university scholarships through the Office of Financial Aid. Financial assistance is also available through the ICSP program (contact International Affairs) or through Graduate Teaching Fellowships (contact academic department).
Can international students apply for State of Oregon residency?
  • No. Only U.S. citizens or resident aliens who have resided in Oregon for 12 continuous months AFTER having received a green card are eligible to apply for in-state tuition. PLEASE NOTE: These conditions do not guarantee Oregon residency. This only determines the earliest date on which a resident alien student may apply for residency.
Copyright © 2011-2018 University of Oregon. All rights Reserved. Eugene Oregon 97403.

UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.