In addition to policies and procedures pertaining to Graduate Employees in general, there are a few policies that apply specifically to those GEs who are international students:
- Health Insurance Requirement, Options, and Waiver Requests
- SEVIS Fee Reimbursement for International GEs
GEs who are non-native speakers of English, regardless of citizenship, should refer to the GE English language policy.
All international students, including GEs, are required to carry health insurance while enrolled at the UO. International students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the University Health Center's (UHC) UO Student Health Benefits Plan.
This plan is available to the GE at low cost and provides medical, dental, and vision coverage. Children and families may be added to the GTFF health insurance plan for an additional cost.
For more information and to enroll in this health insurance plan, contact the GTFF Benefits Administrator (541-344-0832).
Regardless of GE status, all international students are automatically enrolled in and billed for the University Health Center's (UHC) UO Student Health Benefits Plan.
Remember, if you sign up for the GTFF insurance, you must complete a waiver request form through the GTFF to be removed from the student insurance (and to receive a credit for the premiums). Deadlines apply.
The waiver will be in effect the entire academic year, so if your GE position ends in the middle of the year, you will need to re-enroll in the UO Student Insurance Plan.
Dependents cannot use the Student Health Center. They must arrange for health care services off campus.
For help with questions about health insurance, email UOstudentinsure@uoregon.edu.
To be eligible for reimbursement of the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) fee, students must:
- Have paid the SEVIS fee to attend their current UO graduate program
- Began in their current UO graduate program in Fall 2014 or later
- Have been employed as a graduate employee (GE) in the term in which they began their current UO graduate program
- Have not already been reimbursed for the SEVIS fee payment by another source