Language Teaching Studies
Master of Arts (MA)
College of Arts and Sciences
Summer Term: February 1
Fall Term: February 1
This program may accept applications after the posted deadline on a space-available basis. Refer to the program’s website for more details.
MEDIAN TIME TO DEGREE
The linguistics department master of arts (MA) degree program in language teaching studies is designed to prepare leaders in the field of language teaching and learning in the United States and internationally.
The program focuses on transformational approaches to language instruction through innovation in curriculum, pedagogy, materials development, digital technologies, and assessment, including how evidence-based principles and practices can be adapted across a wide range of language learning contexts.
Participants in the program can focus on one or more languages, including English and other commonly taught world languages, or less commonly taught and indigenous languages.
The program is particularly sensitive to the evolving needs of language learners in this era of globalization and internationalization.
Unique program goals Include:
- Identifying the common practices of successful language learners as well as the diverse characteristics of languages and learner needs
- Emphasizing methodologies and curricula that align with current research and theory
- Recognizing the importance of social context, identity, and agency in language use
- Highlighting best uses of digital tools to motivate and inspire learners in and beyond classroom contexts
- Providing a background in language evaluation to match a new international need for proficiency-based assessment
- Applying what has been learned in the program to an individualized capstone project that is designed for an authentic teaching or learning context
- Welcoming program participants into a cohort model based on community, strong social networks and professional development opportunities
Application at a Glance
You apply for admission through your program. Detailed instructions are available on the program’s website.
UO Application Requirements
- Official Transcripts
- English Language Proficiency Requirement for International Applicants
- Financial Verification for International Applicants
Program-Specific Application Requirements
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- GMAT or GRE