International Applicants

In addition to the other admissions application procedures (see Admissions Procedures), international applicants are also responsible for the following:

English Language Proficiency Requirement

Applicants whose native language is not English must show proof of language proficiency. Please see for more information.

Visa Status

Most international students attending the UO hold a student (F-1) visa. International students will receive a certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20) after admission to the UO. To obtain a student visa, the form I-20 must be presented to a U.S. consul.

Some international students are sponsored by international agencies and enter the United States as Exchange Visitors. In this case, the program sponsors will provide the student with the DS-2019 form needed to obtain an Exchange Visitor (J-1) visa.

International graduate students completing an advanced degree at UO and continuing on with a second advanced degree must update visa information with International Affairs to ensure that their student visa remains valid.

See the International Affairs website for more information and links to other relevant websites.

Financial Verification

U.S. Government regulations require that the University of Oregon verify the availability of sufficient financial support for non-immigrant students before a Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20 or DS-2019) can be issued. International students must submit supporting financial documents (e.g., Graduate Teaching Fellowship (GTF) appointment contract, scholarship award letter) and/or bank statements with their applications.

Students planning to be sponsored by an agency, government or other sponsor should have proof of financial support sent from the sponsoring agency (e.g., a letter from the sponsor and copies of the sponsor’s bank statement).

Financial verification documents should be sent to:

Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1217



To be admitted to the Graduate School for the purpose of seeking an advanced degree or certificate you must have a credential that is equivalent to a regionally accredited U.S. four-year bachelor’s degree. Additionally, the credentials must be received from an institution recognized by the country's educational body that oversees institutional approval, such as the Ministry of Education. If you are concerned about your eligibility for admissions to the University of Oregon Graduate School, please contact Cortney McIntyre for credential analysis.

Official transcripts with certified English translations of all college or university work are required. Official degree certificates with certified English translations are also required if the degree and conferral date do not appear on the transcripts.

These official transcripts should be sent to:

Office of Admissions
1217 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1217


In addition to sending your transcripts to the Office of Admissions, you must provide transcripts to the department to which you are applying. Some departments require you to upload unofficial copies of transcripts on the online application; some require official hard copies; others require both uploaded AND official hard copies. Please refer to your department's application instructions.


Health Insurance

The University of Oregon requires that all international students and their families be covered by university-approved health and accident insurance.

Registration for classes may not be completed until adequate insurance coverage is verified. This insurance supplements medical services provided by the University Health Center. The cost of this mandatory insurance, which is automatically billed to the student's account, can be found on the Student Health Center website. If you have other health insurance that offers coverage that is comparable to or greater than the UO-sponsored insurance and you feel your coverage is sufficient, you may request an exemption from having to purchase the UO- sponsored insurance.

The tuition and fees you pay for university enrollment pay for some medical care through the University Health Center during the nine-month school year. This medical coverage does not include the cost of major surgery, prescriptions and medicines, long-lasting illness, or illness contracted during a vacation period or when the university is not in session. Dependents cannot use the Student Health Center. They must arrange for health care serviced off campus.

UO Student Health Center:

  • UO Sponsored Insurance: International Student Health Insurance and International Student Dependents Health Insurance,
  • Graduate Teaching Fellows Federation (GTFF) Health Insurance Plan: International students who have a graduate teaching fellowship (GTF) are eligible to enroll in the GTFF health insurance plan. This plan is available to the GTF at low cost and provides medical, dental, and vision coverage. Children and families may be added to the GTFF health insurance plan for an additional cost. For more information and to enroll on this health insurance plan, contact the GTFF Benefits Administrator, (541) 344-0832 or


Support from the UO Office of International Affairs

International Affairs provides information and assistance to international students, from helping incoming students obtain social security cards to assisting students with visa issues and mid-program and post-graduation work and internship opportunities.

Copyright © 2011-2014 University of Oregon. All rights Reserved. Eugene Oregon 97403.