The Graduate School offers graduate application fee waivers for the qualified applicants listed below. All fee waivers are requested and approved through the online Graduate School application in GradWeb and are subject to availability. Applicants select the category under which they qualify on the initial application screen and provide the required documentation or information. Applicants are able to submit required documentation at two points in the application:
1. Upon beginning an application applicants can upload required fee waiver documentation by clicking “Upload Now."
2. On the final payment page of the application applicants can upload required fee waiver documentation by clicking “Upload Now.”
This option appears when applicants have selected “Upload Later” at the beginning of the application.
Applicant requests will be processed in the order received. Fee waivers are not granted until all of the following steps are complete:
Even if an applicant has requested a fee waiver and the request has been approved, the fee waiver will not be granted until the applicant submits the completed Graduate School application.
Please note, applicants requesting fee waivers based on financial need must submit their request and documentation 10 business days prior to the department's application deadline. Late requests will be automatically denied.
Qualified Applicants and Required Documentation
An unlimited number of application fee waivers are available to qualified applicants from the following categories:
|Applicant Type||Required Information|
|Admitted graduate students (returning or continuing graduate students)||UO ID Number|
|Applicants who have already submitted a UO graduate admission application and paid the $70 fee for the same academic school year.||Application login name|
|Half-time or greater UO employee eligible for staff tuition rates.||UO ID Number|
|Participant in undergraduate research programs for minority students including the McNair Scholars Program, Project 1000, Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS), and Gates Millennium Scholars program.||A signed letter from the program director verifying the applicant's participation|
|Participant in service-based organizations including Peace Corps and Teach for America.||A signed letter from program director verifying the applicant's participation within the past year from application date|
|Active member, reservist, or veteran of the U.S. armed services.||Copy of current orders or DD-214|
A limited number of application fee waivers are available on a first-come, first-serve basis to applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents eligible under the following category:
|Applicant Type||Required Documentation|
Applicants with financial need:
1. Current recipients of unemployment benefits OR State of Oregon or U.S. Public Assistance (food stamps, cash, and medical assistance).
2. Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student with an expected family contribution (EFC) of $5,328 or less toward tuition for the current academic year.
1. Unemployment benefits statement dated within the previous three months or a signed and dated statement from caseworker verifying receipt of benefits within the previous three months.
2. A letter or FAFSA from a representative at the institution where the applicant is currently enrolled as a student which indicates the EFC. Alternately, applicants may submit a copy of Part One of Student Aid Report (SAR) from the institution they are currently attending.
To begin your graduate application to the University of Oregon, please contact the department of interest for application information. Visit our Academic Programs page for a list of graduate programs offered at the UO.